Create Frameworks From Software Engineering To Health Care : A Survey
Background & Aims: One of the challenges of multidisciplinary disciplines such as Medical Informatics, Health Information Technology, etc., especially for those who have just begun research in this field, is the lack of familiarity with some of the key terms and applications of software concepts, including frameworks.
Methods: This study is based on search of databases (ProQuest, PubMed, Google Scholar, Science Direct, Scopus, IranMedex, Irandoc, Magiran, Pars Medline and Scientific Information Database (SID)). This investigation has done with the websites and the specialized books with standard key words. After a careful study, 56 sources were selected and used in the final article.
Results: Frameworks are widely used in the field of health care and have produced valuable results. Considering the framework advantages in the health care sector among designing and estimating the systems in standard ways and comparing the systems in principle for identifying the gaps and introducing the capabilities, avoidance of reworking seem necessary. Therefore, after reviewing the literature we will explain about meaning, overlapping to the other meanings, components, steps, advantages, challenges, and the types of frameworks in general and their applications in the healthcare sector.
Conclusions: The results of this research can help the researchers for doing the new research and understand the important concepts of that, thus it can be useful in designing and researching projects for researchers and health care providers as well.
2.Shortliffe EH. Biomedical informatics. Cimino JJ, editor. Springer Science+ Business Media, LLC; 2006.
3. Musen MA, van Bemmel JH. Handbook of medical informatics. Houten, the Netherlands: Bohn Stafleu Van Loghum; 1997.
4. Schrenker RA. Software engineering for future healthcare and clinical systems. Computer. 2006 Apr;39(4):26-32.
5. Regoniel PA. Conceptual framework: a step by step guide on how to make one. Retrieved from SimplyEducate Me: http://simplyeducate me/2015/01/05/conceptual-framework-guide. 2015.
6. Sicotte C, Champagne F, Contandriopoulos AP, Barnsley J, Béland F, Leggat S, et al. A conceptual framework for the analysis of health care organizations' performance. Health services management research. 1998;11(1):24-41.
7. Handler A, Issel M, Turnock B. A conceptual framework to measure performance of the public health system. American Journal of Public Health. 2001;91(8):1235-9
8. Murray CJ, Frenk J. A framework for assessing the performance of health systems. Bulletin of the world Health Organization. 2000;78:717-31.
9. Petrini C. Theoretical models and operational frameworks in public health ethics. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2010;7(1):189-202.
10. Prasad S, Bruce LM, Ball JE, editors. A multi-classifier and decision fusion framework for robust classification of mammographic masses. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2008 EMBS 2008 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE; 2008: IEEE.
11. Organization WH. Monitoring the building blocks of health systems: a handbook of indicators and their measurement strategies: World Health Organization; 2010.
12. Dictionary.com.[cited May 15 2019]. Available at: in URL:https://www.dictionary.com/browse/framwork.
13. Introduction to Frameworks, Models & Concepts. 2019 5 March 2019]; Available from: http://www.odpedia.com/od/introduction-to-frameworks-models-concepts/.
14. Stanojević V, Vlajić S, Milić M, Ognjanović M, editors. Guidelines for framework development process. 2011 7th Central and Eastern European Software Engineering Conference (CEE-SECR); 2011: IEEE
15. Endter-Wada, J., et al., A framework for understanding social science contributions to ecosystem management. Ecological Applications, 1998. 8(3): p. 891-904.
16. Sinclair M. A guide to understanding theoretical and conceptual frameworks. Evidence-Based Midwifery. 2007 Sep 1;5(2):39-40.
17. Alagheband, A., Principles of educational management. Tehran: Besat; 2011. Persian. Journal of Health & Development Original Article, 2015. 4(2).
18.Bhattacherjee A. Social science research: Principles, methods, and practices.
19. Theoretical Perspectives. .[cited May 15 2019]. Available at: in URL:https://www.courses.lumenlearning.com/sociology/chapter/theoretical-perspectives/
20. Kuhn, T.S. and I. Hacking, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions: 50th Anniversary Edition. 2012: University of Chicago Press.
21. Riehle, D., Framework design: A role modeling approach. 2000, ETH Zurich.
22. Mandelblatt JS, Ramsey SD, Lieu TA, Phelps CE. Evaluating frameworks that provide value measures for health care interventions. Value in Health. 2017 Feb 1;20(2):185-92.
23. Olanrewaju, R.F., T. Islam, and N.a. Ali, An empirical study of the evolution of php mvc framework, in Advanced Computer and Communication Engineering Technology. 2015, Springer. p. 399-410.
24. Software framework. [11 March 2019]; Available from:
25. Jabareen, Y., Building a conceptual framework: philosophy, definitions, and procedure. International journal of qualitative methods, 2009. 8(4): p. 49-62.
26. Lincoln, N.K.D.Y.S. and Y.S. Lincoln, The Sage handbook of qualitative research. 2005: Sage.
27. Ordooshahi, M., et al., Management and research in nursing. Tehran: Salemi Pub, 2005: p. 11-14.
28. Johnson, R.E. Documenting frameworks using patterns. in OOPSLA. 1992. Citeseer.
29. Vlissides, J.M. and M.A. Linton, Unidraw: a framework for building domain-specific graphical editors. ACM Trans. Inf. Syst., 1990. 8(3): p. 237-268.
30. Birrer, A. and T. Eggenschwiler. Frameworks in the financial engineering domain an experience report. in European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming. 1993. Springer.
31. Hill, C., et al., The architecture of the earth system modeling framework. Computing in Science & Engineering, 2004. 6(1): p. 18.
32. Gachet, A., A New Component in the Classification of DSS Development Tools. Journal of Decision Systems, 2003. 12(3-4): p. 271-281.
33. Supaartagorn, C., PHP Framework for database management based on MVC pattern. International Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology (IJCSIT), 2011. 3(2): p. 251-258.
34. Joomla Content Management System (CMS). [25 March 2019]; Available from: http://www.joomla.org/.
35. Mambo. [ 25 March 2019]; Available from: http://mambo-foundation.org/.
36. DotNetNuke. [ 25 March 2019]; Available from: https://www.dnnsoftware.com/.
37. WordPress. [ 25 March 2019]; Available from: https://wordpress.org/.
38. Salve, A., S.R. Lihitkar, and R. Lihitkar, Open source software as tools for libraries: an overview. DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology, 2012. 32(5).
39. Gomaa H. Software modeling and design: UML, use cases, patterns, and software architectures. Cambridge University Press; 2011 Feb 21.
40. Affisco JF, Soliman KS. E-government: a strategic operations management framework for service delivery. Business Process Management Journal. 2006;12(1):13-21
41. McGaghie, W. C.; Bordage, G.; and J. A. Shea (2001). Problem Statement, Conceptual Framework, and Research Question. Retrieved on January 5, 2015 from http://goo.gl/qLIUFg
Cite this article as: Regoniel, Patrick A. (January 5, 2015).
42.Conceptual Framework: A Step by Step Guide on How to Make One. In SimplyEducate.Me. Retrieved from https://simplyeducate.me/2015/01/05/conceptual-framework-guide/
43. Formulating and evaluating theoretical frameworks for career and technical education research. Journal of Vocational Educational Research, 26(1), 27-39.Chang, S. (2007
44. On the theoretical, conceptual, and philosophical foundations for research in mathematics education. ZDM, 37(6), 457-467. Lovitts, B. (2005).
45.de Souza, M. T., da Silva, M. D., & de Carvalho, R. (2010). Integrative review: What is it? How to do it?. Einstein (16794508), 8(1), 102-106.
46.Siadat, S.H. and A.S. Mozafari Mehr, A Framework for Knowledge Management System in The Cloud Computing Environment and Web 2.0. Iranian Journal of Information Processing and Management, 2018. 33(4): p. 1405-1430.
47.Mosadeghrad AM. A conceptual framework for quality of care. Materia socio-medica. 2012;24(4):251 48.Khoja S, Durrani H, Scott RE, Sajwani A, Piryani U. Conceptual framework for development of comprehensive e-health evaluation tool. Telemedicine and e-Health. 2013;19(1):48-53.
49.Mosadeghrad AM. A conceptual framework for quality of care. Materia socio-medica.
50. Van Houdt S, Heyrman J, Vanhaecht K, Sermeus W, De Lepeleire J. An in-depth analysis of theoretical frameworks for the study of care coordination. International journal of integrated care. 2013;13(2).
51.Roe M, Malone S, Blake C, Collins K, Gissane C, Büttner F, Murphy JC, Delahunt E. A six stage operational framework for individualising injury risk management in sport. Injury epidemiology. 2017 Dec;4(1):26.
52. Queensland Clinical Guidelines .Maternity and Neonatal shared care.2016
53.Mei J, Liu H, Li X, Xie GT, Yu Y, editors. A Decision Fusion Framework for Treatment Recommendation Systems. MedInfo; 2015.
54. Velikova M, Lucas PJ, Samulski M, Karssemeijer N. A probabilistic framework for image information fusion with an application to mammographic analysis. Medical Image Analysis. 2012;16(4):865-75.
55. Daunizeau J, Grova C, Marrelec G, Mattout J, Jbabdi S, Pélégrini-Issac M, et al. Symmetrical event-related EEG/fMRI information fusion in a variational Bayesian framework. Neuroimage. 2007;36(1):69-87
56.Engineering, N.A.o. and I.o. Medicine, Building a Better Delivery System: A New Engineering/Health Care Partnership, ed. P.P. Reid, et al. 2005, Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. 276.
|Issue||Vol 5 No 3 (2019)|
|Medical informatics software engineering Health care framework dimensions|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|