Population size estimation of high-risk behavior in Isfahan, Iran: using the network scale-up method in 2018
Background and Objective: Due to the impact of risky behaviors in the community and the need for getting information and planning in this regard, the number of people with high-risk sexual behaviors in Isfahan will be indirectly estimated by the network scale-up method.
Method: In a cross-sectional study conducted in June2018in14districts of Isfahan, a sample of1000 people was recruited by a non-random multistage method and interviewed using a standard questionnaire to identify people with high-risk sexual behavior. Data are analyzed based on a network scale-up method in the STATA application.
Results: According to a report by men, the prevalence of male Extra marital sexual relations (N=2437) and relation with paying prostituted women (N=1211), with non-paying prostituted women (N=298), Homosexuality (N=696) and history of traveling for sexual relations (N =880/100,000); And according to a report by women, the prevalence of female Extra marital sexual relations (N=1386) and Sex Worker women (Monetary) (N=946), Sex Worker women (Non-Monetary) (N=258), and history of travelling for sexual relations (N=13/100,000). In both sexes, the age group of18 to 30years was more at risk for sexual behaviors than other groups
Discussion and Conclusion: It seems that the prevalence of sexual high-risk behaviors in Isfahan is remarkable as the increased prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV, but unfortunately, the required training is low in this regard, more attention should be paying to train people to prevent the prevalence of these high-risk sexual behaviors in society.
2. Hashemi bashir Ya, Aghaei parviz. Estimating the prevalence of high-risk behaviors using network scale-up method in Larestan city. BIOSCIENCE BIOTECHNOLOGY RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS. 2017(1):133-8.
3. WHO. Sexual and reproductive health 2019 [Available from: https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topi cs/rtis/en/.
4. Mohammad kazem KAFF, Noghsan Mohammadi Mohammad Reza,Seyed Alikhani S B , Zare Mohammad Hadi,Ramezani Tehrani Fahimeh ,Ramezankhani Ali ,Hasanzadeh Alireza,Ghanbari Habibollah,. Sexual risk taking behaviors among boys aged 15-18 years in Tehran. J Adolesc Health. 2007;41(4):407-14.
5. Mirabi saeideh Ya, Mosavi somayeh. investigation and recognition of patterns and processes of the formation of premarital sex. Social Sociology of Iran. 2016.
6. Abolfazl Zolfaghari, Akram Ramezani. Pathology of Illegitimate Sexual Experiences. Social Assistance Research Journal. 2015;1(4):197 - 235.
7. Mohsen Boerhani. Iran 's crimi Policy against Prostitution Women 's Strategic studies (Female Book) 2009;12(45):7-43.
8. Khoshnood K, Hasehemian F, Moshtagh N, Eftekhari M, Setayesh S. Social stigma, homosexuality and transsexuality in Iran. Sexologies. 2008;17(Supplement 1):S69.
9. Shokoohi mostafa.Baneshi mohammad rezah Ha, haji Maghsoudi saeide,Mohebi elham,Rastegari azam. The Introduction of Network Scale-up Method: An Indirect Method to Estimate the Hard-to Reach Populations. Iranian Journal of Epidemiology. 2014;10:81-92.
10. H Russell Bernard TH, Alexandrina Iovita, Eugene C Johnsen, Rob Lyerla, Christopher McCarty, Mary Mahy, Matthew J Salganik, Tetiana Saliuk, Otilia Scutelniciuc, Gene A Shelley, Petchsri Sirinirund, Sharon Weir, Donna F Stroup. Counting hard-to-count populations: the network scale-up method for public health. Sexually transmitted infections. 2010;86.
11. Moradinazar mehdi Nf, Baneshi mohammad reza, Haghdoost ali akbar. Size Estimation of Under-Reported Suicides and Suicide Attempts Using Network Scale up Method. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2019;7(2):99- 104.
12. Zeynab Heydari MRB, Hamid Sharifi, Maryam Zamanian, Saiedeh Haji Maghsoudi, Farzaneh Zolala. Evaluation of the treatment failure ratio in individuals receiving methadone maintenance therapy via the network scale up method. International Journal of Drug Policy. 2019;73:36-41.
13. Zahedi R, Noroozi A, Hajebi A, Haghdoost AA, Baneshi MR, Sharifi H, et al. Self-Reported and Network Scale-Up Estimates of Substance Use Prevalence among University Students in Kerman, Iran. J Res Health Sci. 2018;18(2):e00413.
14. Baneshi mohammad reza haa, sharifi hamid,rastegari azam, maghsodi saeide. estimation of size population of sex high risk &drug abuser &alcohol user in iran in 2013 (in persian). 2013:80-96.
15. Nasirian maryam HHs, Haghdoost ali akbar, Karamouzian mohammad. How and Where Do We Ask Sensitive Questions: Self reporting of STI-associated Symptoms Among the Iranian General Population. International Journal of Health Policy and Management. 2018.
16. Zamanian maryam Bmr, Haghdoost ali akbar,Sorkhani tayebe,Amiri fateme,zolala farzane. Estimating the Size and Age-gender Distribution of Women’s Active Social Networks (in persian). Addict Health. 2016;8(3):170-8.
17. Mostafa Shokoohi MRB, Ali-Akbar Haghdoost4. Size Estimation of Groups at High Risk of HIV/AIDS using Network Scale Up in Kerman, Iran. Int J Prev Med. 2012;3(7):471-6.
18. Mahnaz Motamedi EM-K, Mohammad Shahbazi, Shahrzad Rahimi Naghani, Mehrdad Salehi,Mehrdad Karimajebi, Farideh Khalajabadi Farahani. Paradoxical attitudes toward premarital dating and sexual encounters in Tehran,Iran: a cross-sectional study. Reproductive Health. 2016;13.
19. azal A. Recreating Virginity in Iran: Hymenoplasty as a Form of Resistance. Mesical Anthropology Quarterly. 2016;30(2):222-37.
20. Behnam Honarvar NO, Forough Salehi,Nafiseh Arefi,Rahele Barfi,Zahra Asadi,Kamran Bagheri Lankarani. Attitudes Toward and Experience of Singles with Premarital Sex: A Population-Based Study in Shiraz, Southern Iran. Archives of sexual behavior. 2016;45(2):395-402.
21. Pordel H. The effectiveness of parental monitoring on adolescent risk taking. Family Pathology, Counseling & Enrichment Journal. 2016;1(2):25-33.
22. Rahmani A, Merghati-khoei E, Moghaddam Banaem L, Gholami R, Torabi A. The Role of Family in Young Women’s Engagement in Risky Sexual Behaviors: A Qualitative Study. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2017;30(107):11- 22.
23. BORHANI M. IRAN'S CRIMINAL POLICIES AGAINST PROSTITUTION. WOMEN'S STRATEGIC STUDIES (KETABE ZANAN). 2009;12(45 (WOMENS CRIMES)):-.
24. Khajehkazemi R, Osooli M, Sajadi L, Karamouzian M, Sedaghat A, Fahimfar N, et al. HIV prevalence and risk behaviours among people who inject drugs in Iran: the 2010 National Surveillance Survey. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2013.
25. Atiyeh Kamel-Khodabandeh MM, Yunes Jahani, and Hamid Sharifi,. Sex underInfluence of Drugs: A Nationwide Survey among Iranian Female Sex Workers. Addict Health. 2018;10(4):205-15.
26. niazi mohsen pl. sorting of friendship among two gender(in persian). Women in Development and Politics. 2105;12(4):576- 59.
27. Mahmodi G, Hassanzadeh R, Heidari G. The effect of sex education on family health on Mazandran medical university students. Quarterly of Horizon of Medical Sciences. 2007;13(2):64-70.
28. Hamid Sharifi MK, Mohammad Reza Baneshi,Mostafa Shokoohi,AliAkbar Haghdoost,Willi McFarland,Ali Mirzazadeh. Population size estimation of female sex workers in Iran: Synthesis of methods and results. PloS one. 2017;10.
29. Madani-GHahfarkhi S, Saeid dana F, Roshanfekr P. Market of women street vendors in Tehran. Journal of Iranian Social Studies. 2013;6(1):130-53.
30. Karami MK, S.Poorolajal, J.Soltanian, A.Sajadipoor, M. Estimating the Population Size of Female Sex Worker Population in Tehran, Iran: Application of Direct Capture-Recapture Method. AIDS Behav. 2017;21(8):2394-400.
31. Ali Nikfarjam MS, Armita Shahesmaeili , Ali Akbar Haghdoost , Mohammad Reza Baneshi , Saiedeh Haji Maghsoudi , Azam Rastegari , Abbas Ali Nasehi, Nadereh Memaryan , Termeh Tarjoman. National population size estimation of illicit drug users through the network scale-up method in 2013 in Iran. International Journal of Drug Policy. 2016;31:147 - 52
|Issue||Vol 7 No 2 (2021)|
|Sexual relations Network scale up method Hidden population Isfahan Iran|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|