Assessing the level of Knowledge and attitude of the young couples about HIV in Shiraz, Iran
Introduction: HIV infection is one of the main public health problems in the world. This study aimed to assess the knowledge and attitudes of young couples married in the city of Shiraz, and eventually suggest an Operational Program for the prevention of HIV in Iran.
Method: the data collection tool was a questionnaire consisted of 32 questions on transmission and prevention of HIV infection. The young couples were selected through simple random sampling, and the sample size was 400. The data analysis was performed using SPSS 19 software.
Results: Of the total of 400 cases, 201 (50.25%) were male and 199 (49.75%) were female. The mean age of the couples was 25.96±5.95 years. The most frequent correct answer was related to the knowledge of transmission through sharing needles among drug users (87.4%). Regarding attitude, 94.6% of the subjects agreed with the struggle against HIV. Examining the relationship between knowledge and age showed that they had a significant relationship (P=0.002). There was also a significant relationship between attitude and gender (P=0.004).
Conclusion: One of the important ways to stop the epidemic and prevent the incidence of new cases of HIV is educating people at an early age
2. Shouse R, Kajese T, Hall H, Valleroy L. Late HIV testing-34 states, 1996-2005. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2009;58(24):661-5.
3. UNAIDS U. AIDS epidemic update: November 2009. 2013.
4. UNAIDS. The Global AIDS Epidemic. Uniting the World against AIDS [Online]. 2008; Available from: http://www.UNAIDS.org. Accessed on 8th Jun, 2011.
5. Cai L, Wu J. Analysis of an HIV/AIDS treatment model with a nonlinear incidence. Chaos, Solitons & Fractals. 2009;41(1):175-82.
6. Gahagan J, Sweeney E, Worthington C, Perry D, Satzinger F, Rogers E. Ethics issues for HIV/AIDS researchers in international settings—perspectives from the Canadian experience. International
Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2008;12(6):569-72.
7. Tofighi Niaki M, Zafari M, Aghamohammadi A, Kialashaki A. Specified students knowledge the Islamic Azad University, Mazandaran Province in relation to HIV. Family Health. 2012; 1(1): 13-7.
8. UNAIDS. The global report AIDS epidemic. 2013; Available from: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/co ntentassets/documents/epidemiology/2013/ gr2013/UNAIDS_Global_Report_2013_en .pdf. Accessed on 10th December, 2013
9. UNAIDS. 2011 ;.Available from: http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/pressc entre/featurestories/2011/december/20111 204menareport / .
10. UNAIDS. Global HIV/AIDS Response, epidemic update and health sector program towards universal access, Program Report . 2011; Available from: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/co ntentassets/documents/unaidspublication/2 011/201111
11. UNAIDS. World AIDS Day Report. 2011; Available from: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/co ntentassests/documents/unaidspublication/ 2011/JC2216
12. Center for Disease Control, Office of the Deputy for Public Health, Ministry of Health and Medical Education of the IR Iran. HIV/AIDS in Iran (Cumulative Statistics). Tehran: Ministry of Health and Medical Education of the IR Iran. ; Available from: http://port.health.gov.ir/mfdc.cdc.Accessed on 10th December, 2013
13. Bastami F, Zareban E, Beiranvand A, Vahedi S. Effect Of Educational Pamphlet On Knowledge And Attitude Of NonMedical Students About Aids In University
Of Zabol In 2008. Health System Research. 2012;8(6):1027-39.
14. Rahmati Nf, Khoobdel M, Ghasemi M, Farmanbar R, Jafari M, Khamalikhah T. Knowledge and high risk behaviors of newly entered Students to Tehran University toward HIV/AIDS. Holist Nurs Midwifery. 2013; 23 (2) :35-44.
15. Mahmoudifar Y. Effect of training in the field of AIDS on awareness rate and attitude of students. Scientific Journal of Education Strategies. 2009;2(3):109-15.
16. Walker N, Grassly NC, Garnett GP, Stanecki KA, Ghys PD. Estimating the global burden of HIV/AIDS :what do we really know about the HIV pandemic? The Lancet. 2004;363(9427):2180-5.
17. Hadi N, Mirzaie K. The level of knowledge about HIV/AIDS in high school students of Shiraz in 2004. ISMJ. 2004;7(1):88-94.
18- Ballali Meybodi F, Mahmoudi Zarandi M. Knowledge and attitudes of couples before marriage counseling center in Kerman about AIDS in 2008. Journal of Medical Education Center. 2009;6(2):17380.
19. Panahandeh Z, Taramian S. Allied health students about AIDS knowledge and attitudes of Gilan university of Medical Sciences. Medical Journal. 2007;5(49):266.
20. Khatibi S. Educate clients with of AIDS. Journal of Nursing Gilan. 2001;12(41-41):11-5.
21. Akpabio II, Asuzu MC, Fajemilehin BR, Ofi AB. Effects of school health nursing education interventions on HIV/AIDS-related attitudes of students in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2009;44(2):118-23.
22. Ayranci U. AIDS knowledge and attitudes in a Turkish population: an
epidemiological study. BMC public health. 2005; 5(1):95.
23. Molla M, Nordrehaug AstrO m A, Brehane Y. Applicability of the theory of planned behavior to intended and selfreported condom use in a rural Ethiopian population. AIDS care. 2007;19(3):425-31.
24. Mozaffarzadeh Sh., Vahdaninia M. AIDS literacy among female high school students: a cross-sectional study from Iran. Payesh. 2008; 7(2):90.
25. Yeganeh B. Epidemiology of AIDS in world and Iran; ministry of health, noncommunicable disease central department. Report of AIDS prevention committee. 2009.
26. Administration of AIDS. Hepatitis and sexually transmitted diseases, AIDS Newsletter, Ministry of Health and Medical Education,Deputy of Health, the Centers for Disease Control. 2009.
27. Ghorbani G, Alishiri G, Joniedi N. The effect of education on nurses' attitudes and knowledge about AIDS twenty years after its outbreak in Iran. Infectious and Tropical Diseases. 2006;11(35):85-9.
28. Zargooshi J. Characteristics of gonorrhoea in Kermanshah, Iran. Sexually transmitted infections. 2002;78(6):460-1. 29. 29. Zamani S, Kihara M, Gouya MM, Vazirian M, Ono-Kihara M, Razzaghi EM, et al. Prevalence of and factors associated with HIV-1 infection among drug users visiting treatment centers in Tehran, Iran. Aids. 2005;19(7):709-16.
30. Tehrani FR, Malek-Afzali H . Knowledge, attitudes and practices concerning HIV/AIDS among Iranian atrisk sub-populations. Eastern Mediterranean health journal. 2008;14(1):143.
31. Panahandeh Z, Taramian S. Knowledge and Attitude of Non- Medical Students Towards AIDS. 3. 2004; 13 (49) :20.26. 32. Fadaei M, Saneimoghaddaam E, Khosravi S. Knowledge, attitude, and practice on HIV/AIDS among Chabahar high school students in 2007. Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ. 2010; 7 (3) :170177.
33. Ranjbar H. High school students' knowledge and attitudes concerning AIDS Torbat city in 2008. Infectious and Tropical Diseases. 2009;14(45):51-6.
34. Nojoomi M, Shojaei H, Amerian M. Knowledge of high school students about AIDS, Tehran 2002. Hakim research journal. 2003;6(3):41-6.
35. Karimi M. Application of Health Belief Model on knowledge, attitude and practices of barbers about AIDS Zarandieh. 2009; Available from: http://www.cong.sums.ac.ir/behdasht Accessed,2010.
36. Eatemad K, Hydari A, Eftekhar Ardabili H. AIDS knowledge and attitude toward a group of high-risk sexual and injection behaviors and their association with socio-economic characteristics of cities of Gorgan and Gonbad Kavous (2007). Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences. 2010;12(2):63-70.
37. Atulomah N, Oladepo O. Knowledge , perception and practice with regards to occupational risks of HIV/AIDS among nursing and midwifery students in Ibadan, Nigeria. African journal of medicine and medical sciences. 2002;31(3):223-7. 38. Fallahi H, Tavafian Ss, Yaghmaei F, Hajizadeh E. Perceived Susceptibility To Aids In Men Living With Hiv: A Qualitative Research. PAYESH, MAYJUNE 2014; 13(3): 357 -365.
39. Kerr CI, Horrocks MJ. Knowledge, values, attitudes and behavioural intent of
Nova Scotia nurses toward AIDS and patients with AIDS. Canadian journal of public health Revue canadienne de sante publique. 1989;81(2):125-8.
40. Kohi TW, Horrocks MJ. The knowledge, attitudes and perceived support of Tanzanian nurses when caring for patients with AIDS. International journal of nursing studies. 1994;31(1):77-86.
41. Odujinrin M, Adebajo S. Social characteristics, HIV/AIDS knowledge, preventive practices and risk factors elicitation among prisoners in Lagos, Nigeria. West African Journal of Medicine. 2000;20(3):191-8.
42. Savaser S. Knowledge and attitudes of high school students about AIDS: A Turkish perspective. Public Health Nursing. 2003;20(1):71-9.
43. Sowell R, Seals G, Wilson B, Robinson C. Evaluation of an HIV/AIDS continuing education program. Journal of continuing education in nursing. 1997;29(2):85-93.
44. Štulhofer A, Graham C, Božičević I, Kufrin K, Ajduković D. HIV/AIDS-related knowledge, attitudes and sexual behaviors as predictors of condom use among young adults in Croatia. International Family Planning Perspectives. 2007:58-65.
45. Habibi A, Delavarian Z, Hesari Z . Evaluation Of The Rate Of Knowledge Of Health Care Workers Toward Hepatitis B At Mashhad Dental School In Autumn 2003. Journal Of Dentistry. Mashhad University Of Medical Sciences2005; 29: 35-44.
46. Harvey B, Stuart J, Swan T. Evaluation of a drama-in-education programme to increase AIDS awareness in South African high schools: a randomized community intervention trial. Int J STD AIDS. 2000 Feb;11(2):105-11.
47. Izadi M. , Sajjadi A. A. , Ghafourian A. R. . Effect of education on the knowledge of soldiers about smoking hazards. Journal of Military Medicine. 2009; 11 (2) :7-8.
48. Lotfi pur S, Ravari A, Akbari nasab J. Knowledge, attitude and practice of nonmedical students to the ways of transmission and prevention of AIDS in Rafsanjan city. IJNR. 2011; 6 (22) :31-39.
49. Moodi M, Zamanipour N, Sharifirad GR, Shahnazi H.. Evaluating puberty health program effect on knowledge increase among female intermediate and high school students in Birjand, Iran. J Educ Health Promot. 2013 Oct: 30;2:57. 50. Tuchinda S, Chotpitayasunondh T, Teeraratkul A .Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of senior high school students regarding human immunodeficiency virus infection. Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand= Chotmaihet thangphaet. 1998;81(2):130-5.
51. Perez F, Dabis F. HIV prevention in Latin America: reaching youth in Colombia. AIDS care. 2003;15(1):77-87.
52. Pistorius A, Gergen G, Willershausen B. Survey about the knowledge of the HIV infection amongst recruits of the German military. European journal of medical research. 2003;8(4):154-60.
53. Villarruel AM, Jemmott LS, Jemmott III JB. Designing a culturally based intervention to reduce HIV sexual risk for Latino adolescents. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 2005;16(2):23-31.
54. Walton DR. The Effect of a Professionally Moderated HIV-AIDS Prevention Curriculum on the HIV/AIDSrelated Knowledge, Attitudes, and Sexual Risk-taking Behaviors of 10th-grade Adolescents: George Washington University; 2005. 2504 p.
55. Goshtasbi A, Vahdaninia M, Rezaei N. Knowledge Of Married Women In Kohgilouyeh & Boyerahmad Urban Areas On Aids And Sexualy Transmitted Infections. Armaghan Danesh Fall 2006; 11( 3,43); P:99-107.
56. Jalali AH, Alavi K, Pakdel S, Ahmadzadeh Asl M, Eftekhar M. Knowledge and Attitude Toward AIDS in Patients with Gender Identity Disorder Presenting to Tehran Psychiatric Institute. Iranian journal of psychiatry and clinical psychology. 2011;17(3):256-61.
57. Marashi T, Foladvand O, Khedmati M, Shahri P. Knowledge And Attitude Of Faculty Of Health Students Towards Hiv/Aids. Jentashapir Journal Of Health Sciences 2010; 2( 3); 1- 14.
58. Mohebi Nobandegani Z, Mobaraki A, Afrasiabi-Far A, Moshfe A. Knowledge and attitude of health personnels working in educational-treatmental hospitals-Yasuj city regarding AIDS. Armaghane Danesh J. 2003;8(30):47-54.
59. Sanei Moghaddam E, Khosravi S, Abiz A, Marashi N, Nakr Karon M, Sarhadi I. Knowledge, Attitude and practice toward HIV/AIDS amongstudents of Zahedan Islamic Azad University . Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ. 2011; 7 (4) :206-213.
|Issue||Vol 5 No 2 (2019)|
|HIV Young Couple Knowledge; Attitude Prevention|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|